Help save our Koalas! An exciting new project aiming to protect and expand Koala populations in the Sydney Basin (Newcastle to Blue Mountains to Nowra). Koalas have been listed as endangered, but there is much we can do to save them.
The Sydney Koala Network (SKN) has been established by Total Environment Centre (created in 1972 with a long track record of environment protection), with 3-year funding from WIRES, with the objectives of:
- Increasing public knowledge and appreciation of the region’s Koala populations through surveys, events, a variety of communication channels and community briefings.
- Informing local, state and federal governments about the existence, conservation status of and threats to the Koala populations and effective measures to protect them and expand their range.
- Utilising citizen science according to a credible survey methodology to monitor the populations and record the sightings on a database accessible in the public domain.
- Support community groups to protect Koala habitat by support for surveys and the provision of information and policies.
- Working with non-government groups, scientists, corporates and conservation agencies to achieve these aims.
You will be joining the Total Environment Centre and working with our scientific consultants and the SKN Project Manager. Your duties are:
- Manage the citizen science program (recruitment, training, volunteers, field activity, equipment, data entry, mapping)
- Compile reports based on data obtained in consultation with Project Manager and advisors
- Regularly review implementation of citizen science program
- Liaise with advisors on methodology and updates
- Assist Project Manager with organising events
- Management of interns
- Respond to public requests for data
- Other duties as required
- Proven commitment to environment protection
- Demonstrated experience in administration
- A highly organised person that is able to communicate clearly and confidently
- Experience in citizen science and event coordination an advantage
- Computer literate – MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills written, oral and listening
- Field-based experience an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to identify opportunities for and propose systems for process improvement
- Flexibility to work some irregular hours when required
- Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative and in a team
- Permanent resident or Australian citizen
- Fully vaccinated (sighting of COVID-19 certificate required)
- Valid drivers licence
Employer: Total Environment Centre
Classification/s: Environment & Sustainability
Work Type/s: 3dpw 7.6hpd. Mix of home and office based available
Coordinator Salary: $38,500pa plus super and leave loading
Conditions: SCHADS Award, NES applies. TEC does not pay overtime, but allows time-in-lieu subject
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Location: Sydney (Surry Hills)
Period: 3 years (includes 3 months probation period). Extension contingent on funding
Responsible to: Project Manager
Applications (marked ‘SKN Coord’) to: [email protected]
By: 08 August 2022 - 5:00pm AEST