Pollution-free power accessible to all
With the best renewable energy resources in the world, Australia should be a global leader in the fight against global heating. Instead we are helping to trigger a climate catastrophe. But the market is overtaking the fossils. TEC has worked for years to encourage the growth of a solar and wind friendly energy supply system. We’ve campaigned hard to popularise energy conservation. And we’ve lobbied doggedly to reform the National Electricity Market (NEM), which is still mainly fuelled by coal power.
Change is happening!
As well as a recent boom in large-scale wind and solar farms and batteries, there is a revolution happening in local energy, with some states having over one third of households with rooftop solar. Add in household and community batteries, solar gardens for people who can’t have their own rooftop solar, new ways to share and trade local energy (virtual power plants and peer to peer energy trading), and we are seeing the emergence of a people powered two way grid to replace the old centralised, one way grid.
What we are doing now
TEC is at the forefront of the local energy revolution. Some of our current projects include:
- Democratising the energy grid - our new report (June 2021)
- Energy supply resilience in the face of climate change.
- A study into the viability of community scale batteries.
- A change to the energy market rules that would create a market for reductions in peak demand.
- Another rule change that would allow the real costs and benefits of solar and battery exports to the grid to be reflected in network tariffs.
- Advocacy for networks to invest in technologies like microgrids that would create greater resilience in the face of the increasing frequency, intensity and length of severe weather events caused by climate change.
In all of these projects and others, we work closely with other organisations such as Renew and Solar Citizens. We sit on numerous Network Customer Councils, advocating on behalf of people like you. We are always mindful of the need to include and protect people and groups who don't have the resources or the time to be an active part of the energy transition.
Much of this work is behind the scenes, with regulators, governments, experts and other stakeholders, but we are always open to your input and feedback. Your support and donations are also important.
Some of our successes
- We invented Australia’s independent greenpower ratings system and with Greenpeace, created three iterations of the Green Electricity Guide in 2018.
- We have initiated four key changes to the National Electricity Rules – that's three more than any other consumer or environment group.
- Australia’s first community energy retailer, Enova Energy was created from a grant auspiced by TEC.
- We were commissioned by the NSW government to produce a consumers guide to home battery systems.
- We convened the North Coast Energy Forum to 2016, and were a founding member of the Coalition for Community Energy.
- In 2015 TEC intervened in a Federal Court case to prevent SA Power Networks introducing a tariff that would have discriminated against solar owners.
TEC greatly appreciates the ongoing support of Energy Consumers Australia and its energy market reform work.
What You Can Do:
- Support our rule change proposals to the Australian Energy Market Commission
- For tips and analysis check out the 2018 Green Electricity Guide
- Check out our report Energy Supply Resilience in the face of Climate Change
- Read our Report: Networks + Batteries - What's Best For Consumers?
- Read our submission to the Finkel Energy Security review
- Check out our Battery Boom Bulletin Board