Sydney’s last remaining healthy koala colony is facing end of days if something is not done to urgently protect it. So TEC is taking action!
Anxiously watched over by local wildlife activists for decades in Sydney's South West, the colony's matriarchs and their cubs have so far managed to survive major assaults on their population caused by dog attacks, increased traffic congestion, and subdivision of bushland that was formerly habitat. This is one of the last disease free koala colonies in Australia.
With more than 30,000 new homes and highway upgrades proposed for the Campbelltown area, however, ecologists and carers agree that this koala colony will not prove resilient in the face of escalating stressors and threats.
To this end, TEC has created our new Save Sydney's Koalas campaign. TEC’s ultimate campaign goal is the long term, permanent recognition of this vital koala sanctuary, which must be legally protected from rezoning, housing development and road building.
TEC aims to bring the koala colony's unique status to the attention of the general public through our focused awareness campaign aimed at local and mainstream media, schools, and the tourism sector. Local and federal politicians will be urged to make a public commitment to ensuring the longevity of the colony.
Local volunteers have already created detailed mapping of the population since 1989, but without resources their vital research into this unique colony cannot be effectively sustained.
TEC has 40 years of experience defending wildlife habitat and working with local communities, as well as negotiating regulatory, parliamentary and political process. We offer unique support to this important battle to save Sydney's last wild koala population from extinction.
WHAT WE'VE DONE SO FAR
- On September 30th we warmly welcomed NSW Labor's commitment to a 4000 Ha Georges River Koala National Park !
- On September 27th we raised deep concerns about the states bio-banking proposal and possible federal acquiescence of it, with the Federal Minister for the Environment - Melissa Price.
- On September 11th 2018 at the Appin Koala Summit, TEC presented a spatial governance proposal for human-koala habitat compatibility. It consisted of the Georges River Koala National Park, Two Rivers Frontier Koala National Park and a Koala Blue-Green Grid concept - The full presentation is here - TEC's Koala Summit Presentation
- Mount Gilead - the housing development by Lendlease Communities (Mt Gilead) Pty Ltd will impact critical koala corridors making avoidance of threats such as dogs and cars by the koala population almost impossible. Read our submission to Campbelltown City Council
- Here's our submission to the Federal government.
- The Macquariedale Rd Planning Proposal by the Walker Corporation involves the destruction of Core Koala Habitat for a housing development in Appin, South-western Sydney. Read our submission to Wollondilly Shire Council.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Download and sign the koala petition
This petition will be presented to the NSW parliament. Ask your friends and/or family to also sign it! Please return by post to:
Total Environment Centre
Attn: Saul Deane
PO Box K61, Haymarket NSW 1240
Download, print and distribute/display the Gilead koala poster
Right click the image below and select "Save image as" to download the poster to your computer.